Frequently Asked Questions
What is pyng.me
Pyng.me is an app for your phone you can use to both make your location known when a friend or family member wants to know your location, and for you to locate them.
Pyng.me is ad free, does not sell your data, and is safe for families to use.
Pyng.me is not a social networking app. You don't check in with pyng.me, use pyng.me to post to your Facebook wall, etc...
There are many location tools out there. What makes pyng.me special?
- Ad Free and data is secure, never sold
- Practical for mom, dad, and the kids
- Battery used only when you use the app
- Pyng.me is being built for multiple mobile platforms
Ways to use pyng.me
- You need to know where someone is but they might be driving or otherwise unable to answer a call or text.
- Athletes who want to be available but not distracted. Joggers, cyclists, skiers, are often in the middle of an activity where responding to a call or text is not convenient and sometimes dangerous.
- As a simple, quick way for people to find you and for you to find them.
Why must I use my phone number to register?
Pyng.me identifies a person by their phone number. During registration we verify your phone number by sending you a text message with a registration code. In the pyng.me app you connect to other people via their phone number and they connect to you via your phone number. This works well because the people you pyng are likely already in your phone contacts.
Can anyone see where I am?
No, we provide a great deal of control and security. When you first install pyng.me no one can see where you are, or even request your location. You have to add friends as pyng.me contacts, and they have to also add you as a pyng.me contact in order for location information to be shared. For each of your pyng.me contacts you control whether your location should automatically be shared with someone, or the app should ask you before your location is shared.
How do I add a pyng.me contact?
Go to the Contacts page, select the "Add More" button.
A list will appear showing your phone contacts and who has pyng.me installed.
For contacts who already have pyng.me installed add them by clicking the "add" button
For contacts who do not have pyng.me installed click the invite button which opens your text messenger so you can send them a message to install pyng.me
Once I've added a contact how do I pyng them?
On the home screen (where the map is shown) you will see the contact's name in the button bar above the map.
- A single tap on this button pyngs the person. If your pyng is successful you will begin seeing where this person is located, with updates every few seconds.
- A long press on this button opens a dialog with additional options to text message, or call the person (only available on some versions of pyng.me)
How do I set up an auto reply for certain people?
Go to the Contacts page in the app and select one of "Ask, Allow, Block". Allow means an automatic reply yes, Block means automatic reply no.
Does pyng.me work outside of the US?
Yes, it does work internationally.
The location sometimes looks very inaccurate, why?
Location services on phones can give inaccurate readings especially when first starting up. Wait for the location to refresh a few times and it should settle down to an accurate reading.
If this continues to happen have the person check their location services setting in their phone settings, and make sure it is set to high accuracy.
What does it cost
The app is free. Data charges by your carrier may apply (sorry we can't fix that!). We send your phone a push notification when it's time to start posting your location.
What information do you store?
The information we store about you is minimal. We don't want detailed info about you beyond what is needed to make pyng.me useful. The most sensitive data we store about you is your user name, phone number, and last posted geo location. There is no additional location history stored other than last location.
Is there a way to see a record of who pyng'd me and when?
Not currently. It hasn't seemed interesting enough to support it. If you want this feature please let us know.
What types of problems can affect pyng.me?
- When you pyng someone if they are not automatically responding to you then you have to wait for them to respond.
- Because we don't activate the GPS or use data when pyng.me is not in use, when you pyng someone a chain of events happens to make it all work. We contact the person's phone via a notification, the phone has to start determining what its location is and tell the pyng.me client, the pyng.me client then needs to send the location data back to our server. After that you begin to see the location on a map. This can all take 15 or more seconds depending on conditions.
- Both the person pyng'ing and the person being pyng'd must have available data connections.
- The person being pyng'd needs location services enabled on their phone (ideally GPS, but the cell network location can work ok). And the services must be able retrieve your location. Bus tunnels and underground garages can be problematic.
- There are also cases of if a person's phone is off, or they're away from their phone and auto reply is not on then the pyng.me service will not work.
- And of course if you pyng someone and they decide to automatic block you, then you pyng'ing that person will never work unless they later change their setting for you :)
I have other questions that weren't covered here
Please send us an email or post your question on our Facebook page. We'd love to hear from you.